Well, IT’S MY BIRTHDAY! 25 years young!
While I’ve been having an early mid-life crisis regarding turning 25 (because that’s an adult sounding age!) , I’ve been lucky enough to live a great quarter-century with highs and lows that have made it a worthwhile journey.
Here’s 25 things I’ve reflected on and compiled since last year’s birthday post…
1. It is OK to have an opinion. Your opinion is worth something. Don’t be afraid to stand up for something you believe in, even if the people around you don’t appear to agree.
2. Everything happens for a reason. Even if it doesn’t seem like it could possibly mean something at the time…
3. Not all relationships are meant to last. People serve a valuable purpose at a certain point in your life. When a relationship no longer serves you, it’s time to move forward knowing that it fulfilled its purpose, and move onto a brighter future with the knowledge of the past aiding you.
4. The best compliment you can receive is being called a ‘beautiful person’. Many people have a beautiful face, but not as many have a beautiful heart.
5. It is impossible to watch ‘The Notebook’ without ugly crying…
6. If you want to buy the sparkly gold cutlery set, then buy the damn gold cutlery set! Life is too short to not eat with a knife and fork you love.
7. Adulting isn’t easy, but it gets easier!
8. You will only get back from the universe, what you put into it. If you want something to change, you can’t sit around and wait for it to happen. Work hard, strive for success and you will be rewarded.
9. It doesn’t matter whether you pay for a full car clean to make your car sparkle. A bird will shit on it the day after, so you may as well embrace the dirt.
10. It’s OK to take a pause in life to ‘re-find your happy’.
11. You know you’ve become an adult when you keep plastic bags in your car for your weekly food shop.
12. If you’re going to spend hundreds of pounds on having your hair coloured, you really should invest in the right shampoos, even if they’re £20. It makes the world of difference!
13. Fail to prepare then prepare to fail! If you care about something then make sure you put in the effort. If you’re not willing to do your research then you don’t really want it.
14. People’s priorities change as you grow older. Roll with the disappointments and understand that others have a life to live too.
15. Exercise is so important to both your physical and mental wellbeing. Find a sport that you like and do it on the reg. You’ll feel better for it!
16. Put down yo’ phone more! Life on a screen is only fulfilling if there’s nothing else fulfilling happening in your life. Look up from your screen and take in the world.
17. Breathe more. Sounds weird, right? But taking a moment to inhale the air and clear your mind is so important to changing your outlook.
18. Was it a bad day or a bad hour? The answer is always ‘a bad hour’. Keep things in perspective and stay positive.
19. Take nothing for granted. Anything can be snatched away so quickly. So tell people you love them, appreciate every sunrise you wake up to, smile every day and be grateful for what you have.
20. Go to your damn cervical screening, ladies! Don’t put it off. Don’t think you’re invincible because you’re young. Go get your foof checked.
21. A glass of wine every night with dinner doesn’t make you an alcoholic. It makes you classy.
22. Calm the hell down! You will always be OK. Even if you lose your job, even if you break up with your partner, even if you break a bone; you will always be OK. Until you’re not OK… but you can worry about it then.
23. Anger solves literally nothing.
24. You learn this more and more every year, but the people who matter will always make the effort for you. Be sure to do the same for them.
25. Even though birthdays aren’t quite as exciting nowadays because you don’t actually want to grow older anymore, you’ve just got to remember that every year is a blessing. Some people aren’t as lucky to live to be as old as you, so be grateful for every year you are lucky enough to have.
Happy birthday to me!